World Osteoporosis Day (WOD) is a year-long campaign celebrated every year on October 20 in conjunction with Bone and Joint Action Week to raise global awareness of the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of osteoporosis.
World Osteoporosis Day proposes to make osteoporosis and fracture prevention a global health priority by connecting with healthcare experts, the media, policy producers, patients, and general society at large. The campaign will include “THAT’S OSTEOPOROSIS” as a headline, featuring emotionally effective visuals and stories of real individuals living with osteoporosis in all regions of the world.
The campaign will underline the immediate connection between osteoporosis (the silent, fundamental disease) and broken bones, which have a serious, life-changing effect regarding pain, disability, and lost autonomy. It will likewise focus on osteoporosis as a ‘family affair’, with family guardians regularly worrying about the concern of care, and the disease influencing different generations of the family.
Bone health, which plays a significant function in the general prosperity of an individual, has become a reason for concern of late. An investigation affirms that one out of three women and one of every five men aged 50 years or above is probably going to suffer an osteoporotic fracture. This information likewise reflects how women and the elderly are in danger of building up the condition. Even though losing bone density is a part of aging, an unhealthy lifestyle alongside vitamin D deficiency exacerbates the condition.
In the midst of the COVID 19 pandemic, while staying at home is the standard, a part of the general public is leading a sedentary lifestyle which is additionally putting their bone health at risk. Additionally, the stay-at-home circumstance has prompted depleting vitamin D levels because of less exposure to sunlight.
We know every one of that diseases of any type is bad for our body, we should take care of health, we should take a healthy diet, ideal exercise is additionally significant, and so on Osteoporosis is a disease which at an early age doesn’t have any sort of symptom yet whenever delayed back pain emerges counsel a doctor and take preventive measures. World Osteoporosis Day is seen on 20 October to raise awareness about the disease like how to prevent it, instruct individuals, and so on.
World Osteoporosis Day 2020 Theme
The 2020 World Osteoporosis Day awareness campaign, “That’s Osteoporosis,” highlighted in the current year’s WOD campaign will be used in inventive, visual resources intended to improve comprehension of osteoporosis and its result. In particular, to: – improve comprehension of the connection between osteoporosis and broken bones – uncover the human and socio-economic expenses of fractures through significant patient representations – urge the general population to check their own risk for osteoporosis by driving the use of the new IOF Osteoporosis Risk Check. The campaign will use amazing, emotionally charged pictures of individual patients from all areas of the world.
What is osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is a systematic disease that makes bones so permeable or powerless that even mild stress causes a fracture. It is called an osteoporotic fracture. Ageing, hormonal changes after menopause, calcium, and vitamin D deficiency are a few causes.
Osteoporosis is a condition when the bone turns delicate and is hence defenseless to fracture. It is very basic in women aged above 35, particularly the individuals who have recently hit menopause.
Osteoporosis implies porous bone. It is a disease of the bone wherein the thickness and nature of bone are diminished. World Osteoporosis Day teaches individuals about the significance of good health, taking care of the body, and protecting bones and muscles from weakening and perilous fractures.
Osteoporosis makes bones feeble and delicate, with the goal that they break easily – even because of a minor fall, a bump, a sneeze, or an abrupt movement. Fractures caused by osteoporosis can be hazardous and a significant reason for pain and long-term disability.
Osteoporosis, regardless of whether more outlandish, could likewise hitmen. It is particularly noticeable among individuals who don’t exercise or get enough sunlight. It is additionally liable to happen among smokers and heavy drinkers. Excluding enough calcium in your eating regimen could likewise here and there lead to Osteoporosis.
Bones are comprised of living tissues and they continually change. That is new bone is made and old bone is broken down. At a youthful age, the body produces new bone faster and breaks down old bone when contrasted with the mature age that is bone mass increments in youth. Yet, by the age of 30, the vast majority arrive at their peak bone mass. As age expands, bone mass is lost quicker than it is made.
Osteoporosis disease relies on how much density of bone mass you have accomplished in the adolescent. Let us disclose to you that peak bone mass is to some degree acquired and fluctuates by the ethnic group. On the off chance that the bone mass is higher in the body that is you have more bone in the bank and there will be less possibility for osteoporosis disease.
Osteoporosis is likewise genetic at times and in this way, any individual with a background marked by fractures in the family could be influenced by Osteoporosis.
As talked about above, at an early age, there is no such type of symptoms of bone misfortune is seen. However, because of osteoporosis, your density of bone reductions or your bone began debilitating then you may have a few symptoms and signs like:
- Pain in the back can be caused because of fractures or collapsed vertebra.
- Loss of height after some time.
- A stooped Posture
- A bone that fractures significantly more easily than anticipated.
- Pain in the spinal area – Fractures in the spine could cause pain in the back region, predominantly the lower back. It for the most part builds up a hump as ladies become older.
- Hip fractures heal gradually – Since the bone doesn’t recuperate totally and rapidly, the hip fracture heals gradually. The condition turns serious and needs prompt check-up and healing because as per research, 20% of women died in the ensuing year after the injury.
The most ideal approach to diagnose Osteoporosis is through a double energy X-ray. At numerous events, individuals are unconscious that they have a weak bone and fracture. A DEXA could bring up the minutest of subtleties and assist you with treating it better.
Medicine, exercises, and ending smoking and alcohol go far in treating Osteoporosis. Getting a dose of Vitamin D is additionally important to help keep the bone strong. It is additionally fitting to stay away from gluten during the treatment.
In any case, visit your generalists, internists, gynecologists, endocrinologists, rheumatologists, or orthopedists quickly if in pain.
Key Facts about Osteoporosis
- In India, every year around 10 million fractures are caused by osteoporosis
- By 2050, the hip fracture has been extended to increment by 310 percent in women and by 240 percent in men
- A previous fracture expands the risk of additional cracks by 86 percent
- In India, most instances of osteoporosis cases go undiagnosed and untreated. A larger part of the undiagnosed populace hails from country regions
- In India, around 52 percent of ladies are vulnerable to osteopenia and 29 percent are at risk from osteoporosis
- It is assessed that an osteoporotic fracture happens every three seconds around the world
- From 50 years old, one of every three ladies and one out of five men will suffer a fracture in their residual lifetime
- For women, the risk of hip fracture is higher than the risk of breast, ovarian, and uterine cancer combined
- A high intake of alcohol means the risk of fracture as alcohol builds the risk of vertebral and hip fractures
- Physical exercises fortify muscles and increment bone mass density
- Sunlight exposure builds BMD of Vitamin D and makes the bones solid
- Sufficient degrees of calcium positively affects the body and makes the bones stronger
- If there should arise an occurrence of old individuals, a high intake of protein and calcium prompts a lower rate of age-related bone loss.
5 steps to healthy bones and a fracture-free future
- Exercise routinely
Weight-bearing, muscle-reinforcing, and balance-training exercises are ideal.
2. Guarantee a diet rich in bone-healthy nutrients
Calcium, vitamin D, and protein are the most significant for bone health. Safe exposure to sunshine will assist you in getting enough vitamin D.
3. Keep away from negative lifestyle habits
Keep up healthy body weight, abstain from smoking, and excessive drinking.
4. See if you have risk factors
Furthermore, bring these to your doctor’s consideration, particularly on the off chance that you’ve had a past fracture or have explicit diseases and prescriptions that influence bone health.
5. Get tested and treated if necessary
In case you’re at high risk you will probably require medicine to guarantee ideal assurance against fracture.