The Christian holiday of Pentecost, also known as “White Sunday” or “Whitsunday” or “Whitsun,” which is celebrated the 49th day (the seventh Sunday) after Easter Sunday. Pentecost 2020 falls on Sunday, 31 May.
What is Pentecost?
Pentecost honors the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles and various followers of Jesus Christ while they were in Jerusalem praising the Feast of Weeks, as portrayed in the Acts of the Apostles.
The holiday is additionally called “White Sunday” or “Whitsunday” or “Whitsun”, particularly in the United Kingdom, where traditionally the next day, Whit Monday, was likewise a public holiday (since 1971 fixed by statute on the last Monday in May).
In German, Pentecost is called Pfingsten, created through contracting the Greek term pen[te]k[os]te, and usually agrees with academic holidays and the start of numerous outdoor and springtime activities, for example, celebrations and organized outside exercises by youth associations. The Monday after Pentecost is a legitimate holiday in numerous European nations.
In Eastern Christianity, Pentecost can likewise allude to the whole fifty days of Easter through Pentecost inclusive; thus the book containing the liturgical texts is known as the “Pentecostarion”. Since its date relies upon the date of Easter, Pentecost is a “moveable feast”.
Pentecost is one of the Great Feasts of the Eastern Orthodox Church, a Solemnity in the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church, a Festival in the Lutheran Churches, and a Principal Feast in the Anglican Communion. Numerous Christian denominations give a special liturgy to this holy festival.
How is Pentecost 2020 celebrated at home?
- This celebration requires the presence of a minimum of two individuals.
- In case only you’re, you can just read this celebration, joined in your heart and spirit with the Church. You can likewise watch the Mass on TV.
- Pick the most convenient time, from Saturday evening (the vigil of Sunday) to Sunday evening.
- This celebration is especially appropriate for use with family. To respect quarantine rules, you should avoid welcoming others from outside your household. On the off chance that anybody in your home is sick, ensure they stay in isolation to guarantee that all security rules are carefully followed.
- Set up the required number of chairs before a petition corner, regarding an appropriate distance of at least a yard between each.
- Take the time to renew a little the prayer corner’s decorations: pictures, candles, real or artificial flowers, drawings by your children, garlands, and so on.
- A straightforward cross or crucifix should visible in the background.
- Assign an individual to lead the prayer.
- The leader will likewise coordinate the preparation of the festival, during which the individual will mark the length of the periods of silence.
- Assign readers for the readings.
- During the preparation of the festival: you can plan petitions for the Prayers of the Faithful or Universal Prayer. You may likewise plan appropriate hymns.