World Mental Health Day 2019: What is mental health? How to keep up positive mental health?
World Mental Health Day is celebrated every year on October 10 to raise awareness of mental health issues over the globe and promote good mental health for individuals around the world. The campaign additionally inspires open discussions about mental health conditions and gives a chance to all partners to discuss what all the more should be done to make mental healthcare a reality for all. The theme for the 2019 World Mental Health Day is ‘suicide prevention’.
World Federation for Mental Health declared 10th October as World Mental Health Day in 1992 and celebrates it with a new theme consistently. This year, the initiative is being upheld by the World Health Organisation(WHO), the International Association for Suicide Prevention and United for Global Mental Health.
Every year around 800,000 individuals dies because of suicide, which makes it one suicide at regular intervals. Subsequently, the current year’s theme is “40 seconds of action”. The goal is to raise awareness about the surging numbers.
As per the World Health Organization (WHO), one individual dies by committing suicide every 40 seconds. This implies near 8,00,000 individuals lose their lives to suicide consistently. Suicide can influence anybody regardless of their age, gender, or background. Suicide is appalling yet it’s preventable. While suicide itself is not a mental disorder, there are links. Maybe, mental illness, including melancholy, is one of the most well-known reasons for suicide.
On World Mental Health Day, the WHO is encouraging every single one of us to become familiar with suicide prevention and connect with the individuals who are battling with suicidal thoughts or self-harm.
Watch WHO’s the message for World Mental Health Day as Dr. Devora Kestel, Director of the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse, features what every one of us can do to help individuals who are battling and to help avert suicide.
What is mental health?
The WHO characterizes mental health as a condition of prosperity wherein an individual can understand his/her very own potential and can deal with worries of regular day to day life while working productively and fruitfully, making a significant contribution to the community. As it were, mental health alludes to your cognitive, emotional, and social well-being. Mental health influences how you think, feel, behave, and is essential at each phase of life.
Good mental health is significant
Good mental health is as significant as great physical health. Truth be told, your physical health and mental health are firmly connected to one another. Poor mental health can adversely influence your physical health, prompting an expanded danger of a few health conditions, for example, heart disease. Also, poor physical health can build the danger of building mental health issues.
Mental health issues on the ascent among youthful grown-ups
There are different inquires about that demonstrate the prevalence of mental illness among youthful grown-ups, particularly younger than 35. Mental illness is preventable to a huge degree. “People take time and pay attention to take care of their physical bodies but take mind for granted. If people were to take the same amount of time and attention to take care of the mind, much of the mental illness issues can be prevented or nipped in the bud,” said Dr. Raghu Krishnamurthy, consultant psychiatrist, BGS Gleneagles Global Hospital.
That there are different external factors that can trigger tension, incorporating stress in relationships, financial stress, stress from emotional trauma, stress from work, and so forth. It is the ideal opportunity for individuals to understand that so as to avert mental illness, they should harness spiritual health through meditation, Dr. Krishnamurthy included.
How to keep up positive mental health
- The decisions you make in your everyday life can immensely impact the condition of both your physical and mental health. Here are a few things you can do to deal with your mental health:
- Eat a well-balanced eating routine comprising of good amounts of fiber, proteins, healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals. Healthy eating can help prevent and deal with a few health conditions, including depression.
- Make exercise and physical activity a part of your everyday schedule. It is an extraordinary method to keep you fit and improve overall health and well-being.
- Get enough sleep every night, which is fundamental for a healthy lifestyle.
- Adopt a positive attitude in any event, when nothing appears to be correct and life doesn’t go as per your arrangement.
- Get routine health check-ups and tests.
- Make an appointment with a mental health professional for an annual check-up. Numerous individuals look for professional simply after an emergency has happened.
- Keep in mind, dealing with your emotional health is similarly as significant as dealing with your physical health to a long, healthier, fitter life. This World Mental Health Day, let every one of us vow to care for our mental well-being.